Lift chairs may look like standard reclining chairs that you may find in any living room, but they are actually essential pieces of medical equipment designed to help people with limited mobility.
In fact, lift chairs qualify as Durable Medical Equipment under Medicare Part B.
These carefully crafted devices feature a powered lifting mechanism that pushes and tilts the entire chair up from its base to help seated patients arrive at a standing position, and assist elderly or disabled people when they bend down to sit.
They alleviate the issue of bending down low enough to reach the seat or having enough stamina to push off to stand up.
The ability to perform a sit-to-stand (STS) motion is important for ambulatory adults to function independently and maintain daily activities.
According to a June 2013 article in the “Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development,” approximately 6 percent of community-dwelling older adults experience significant difficulties with STS, a major risk factor for institutionalization.
Lift chairs are helpful for anyone who suffers from bone or muscle pain, has had surgery, or has been in an accident. Those with weak knees, back problems, or other ailments can also benefit from the use of a chair lift.
Many of our customers have even reported that without the use of a lift chair, they would not be able to get into a standing position after sitting.
To properly use a lift chair, you should always bring the chair to its full upright position when getting out of the chair and when preparing to sit down. Though many people simply plop down when they take a seat, the proper method is to lower yourself slowly when sitting.
Lift chairs can also help nurses, family members or other caregivers avoid injury to themselves from helping people who need assistance getting up from a sitting position or returning to one.
Lift Chair Benefits
SeniorLiving.org cites the following benefits of owning a lift chair:
- Therapeutic benefits. All chairs have the option to add massage or heat therapy. These features can greatly benefit those with stiff joins or muscles. They can feel more relaxed by just turning on the control in their chair.
- Makes activities more comfortable. Whether you’re watching TV, reading, or using the computer, you can adjust your chair to make any activity more comfortable.
- Increased circulation. A lift chair can come in handy for those who need to keep their legs elevated due to circulation issues. No need to sit on the coach with a pillow propping up your legs.
- Provides a sleeping option. If someone lives in a two-level house where the bedrooms are upstairs, having a chair lift that reclines flat gives them the option of sleeping comfortably if they can’t make it up the stairs.
There are three different types of lift chairs to consider for your home — two-position, three-position and infinite position chairs.
- Two-position chairs have a recline limitation of 45 degrees and can go in two positions. They can recline slightly or tilt forward.
- Three-position chairs can go in the same positions as the two-position chair (recline or tilt-forward) and can also lay back completely flat for sleeping with a footrest that flips up as the back reclines.
- Infinite position chairs are the most versatile of the lift chairs. Patients can sit back relaxed, lie flat or have their legs and hips positioned higher than their hearts. These chairs do everything the three-position chairs do but also come with independent leg movement. This allows the chair to go in an unlimited number of positions, thus the name infinite.
A key advantage to positioning your feet higher than your heart is that it helps keep swelling down in your legs and feet.
Ponsi customers can choose from a wide variety of fabrics and colors for their customized lift chairs. Some fabrics are stain resistant. Samples are available at our store.
Choosing the right lift chair is just like choosing the perfect pair of shoes. They both should be comfortable from the very start.
We have examples of all the different heights and widths that lift chairs come in. Some customers may need specialized heights and widths. Extra wide and heavy duty lift chairs are available. Our expertly trained staff will help you determine your specific needs.
Lift chairs come with remote controls that are simple to use and allow you to adjust the lift and recline positions of your chair.
Any lift chair can be customized with added features, such as heat and massage.
Your lift chair will be delivered to you in just a few days. Delivery may take longer with more customizable lift chairs.
Not only does Ponsi offer some of the most affordable lift chair models available, we also carry the largest selections in the Pittsburgh, Greensburg and North Huntingdon areas. Whether it's style, color, fabric or size, we can find the chair that best fits your needs.
Choose one of our quality lift chairs from Golden Technologies, Best Home Furnishings or Pride Mobility. Please look below for our selection in lift chairs and please stop in or contact us now, and let us find the perfect lift chair for you.
GOLDEN TECHNOLOGIES - LIFT CHAIRS
MaxiComfort Series Lift Chairs
- Power Cloud
- Day Dreamer
- Pub Chair
Signature Series Lift Chairs
- Space saver
Traditional Series Lift Chairs
Comforter Series Lift Chairs
- Comforter Wide
Value Series Lift Chairs
PRIDE - LIFT CHAIRS
Pride Essential Collection LC-105 Lift Chair
- LC-105 Lift Chair
BEST HOME FURNISHINGS - LIFT CHAIRS
Best Home Furnishings Power Lift
- Jojo Recl